The village name is formed from an Old English combination of the words linden (or lime) and ford; its meaning being “the ford by the maple trees or lime trees”.

Lindford is located between the parishes of Headley and Whitehill and Bordon, with the River Wey forming a natural boundary with the Whitehill and Bordon side; and is a neighbour to Broxhead at the northern Headley boundary.

Broxhead was a settlement in the Domesday Book, in the hundred of Neatham and the county of Hampshire. It had a recorded population of 10 households in 1086, putting it in the smallest 40% of settlements recorded in Domesday.

The Lindford area was almost certainly unpopulated at that point, and probably comprised woodland, and later agricultural land. Watermeadow Farm, one of the oldest buildings in Lindford, was built in the 16th Century and is one of the two listed buildings in the parish – the other being Chase Farmhouse, also from the 16th Century or possibly earlier.

By the 19th century, according to the 1881 Census, there were 164 people living in 35 dwellings; which included the Royal Exchange Public House with Henry Bone as its registered licensee. At this time the main road through the village was probably the current Broxhead Farm Road, which would have had connections to Alton and Farnham.

An Ordnance Survey map from this time shows the Royal Exchange, Lower House Farm, Hatch House Farm and the Bible Christian Chapel.

The earliest manifestation on the Chapel site, dating from 1828, was a rather dilapidated sanctuary on wheels known as ‘The Ark’. This was replaced by a rudimentary building in 1833, constructed in the main by Preacher Henry White, who did much of the carpentry himself. The foundation stone for the present Church building in Chase Road was laid on 5th March 1870, and the construction was completed over the next 3 months at a cost of £124. During WW2 it served as a canteen to the British and Canadian troops who were based locally.

All other dwellings on the OS map were grouped in small clusters, each within a short distance of one of the 8 wells also marked on the map.

A map of Lindford from 1896 indicates where some of these existing older buildings in the village were located. In those days there were only 6 situated beside the current Liphook Road. Apart from the Royal Exchange and Lower House Farm, they included Aberdeen House, a Victorian red brick villa which housed a butcher and poulterer’s shop; and the current number 19.

In Frensham Lane there were 2 dwellings, one of which was a pair of semi-detached cottages. At the Fiveways crossroads there were 2 properties, one of which was a shop. There were 3 properties on the Headley Road – Hatch House Farm being one of them; and Lindford Cottage, parts of which date from 1640, another. The third was Lindford House which was built in the mid 1800s. The earlier Lindford Cottage was joined onto the hallway of the later Lindford House by means of a cellar; and the Cottage is where the servants for the main house lived. The building now known colloquially as ‘The Tardis’ also dates from the mid 1800s. It was originally called The Bothy, and was the groom’s cottage with stables adjoining it. These stables may have been used by the Royal Exchange as a facility for travellers to exchange their horses whilst being fed and rested at the Inn.

Eight properties were grouped round the Bible Christian Chapel, on the current Chase Road, and these included Chase Farm and Model Farm. At Five Acres there were 2 houses, with several smaller dwellings along the river bank.

The road that now leads to the Bordon crossroads was a farm track, and was only extended for motor use in the early part of the 20th century. Around this time the Lindford Working Men’s Club was built on its present site; the ground and money for the Club had been given by James Reddy Beadon Branson (great-uncle of Sir Richard) in 1927. Branson had bought Headley Mill Farm early in 1915, was very active on Headley Parish Council, and became the first Chairman of Whitehill Parish Council when it was formed in April 1929.

In the 1920s and 1930s a number of other properties were built in Lindford, most of which blended in sympathetically with the area – examples of these can be seen in Windsor Road.

Since the 1960s extensive development has occurred, with an emphasis on greater density, and a growing tendency to build in the gardens of larger houses; often after the demolition of these houses – typically the older buildings. Examples of these older buildings include Pear Tree Farmhouse, the Post Office, the village store at the mouth of Frensham Lane; and the village garage opposite, which was in business there until 1999, when the site was cleared for redevelopment. National Benzole Mixture and Shell petrol were for sale at the two manual pumps, and Mobil oil was also available at the garage. During the Second World War, a Miss Joyce Dickie was cycling on her way from Headley to work at Bordon telephone exchange when an air raid occurred. She recalls just having got to Lindford when the planes came over: “I was stopped there and had to get down in the pit with the men at the garage.”

By 1970 the population had grown to 1,200 people, living in approximately 500 dwellings; in 2002 the population had risen to 2,300, living in approximately 900 dwellings, and the current population is in the region of 2,800.

21st century Lindford

Wey Cottage is located to the west of Lindford Road between the Royal Exchange and Lindford Bridge. It is believed that it dates back to the 18th century, and currently incorporates a Victorian extension/alteration. Forest Cottage, an older style detached stone house remains on the Lindford side of Frensham Lane.

The garage and shop have been replaced by blocks of flats Crossways House and The Lindens.

Situated at the junction of the Headley and Liphook Roads, the Royal Exchange is at the centre of the village and is the subject of one of the few old postcards of Lindford. The main body of the building is characteristically Victorian. On its Headley Road side, however, is a group of structures; some of which appear to be considerably older. Like most of the dwellings shown on the 19th century Ordnance Survey map these structures were round the site of a well, the water from which could have been used in the beer brewing process. Today the Royal Exchange has been extensively refurbished inside, whilst retaining the essence of its original exterior.

Along the Headley Road, Hatch House Farm remains, although it lies just outside the village boundary. The stables attached to The Bothy/Tardis originally jutted out into the Headley Road, but were removed before Grayshott Laurels was built in the late 1970s. The developer of Grayshott Laurels was reputedly intending to demolish Lindford House, but it remains as no.1 Grayshott Laurels, with Lindford Cottage attached, though as a separate dwelling. The Tardis was modernised in the 1980s and has retained some cobblestones in the driveway that used to be on the stable floor, apparently with the legend ‘George V’ stamped on the underside.

Elmfield Court is home to a parade of 3 retail premises; the largest being the Spar convenience store, which also incorporates a Post Office. Also to be found there are an angling supplier and a Chinese takeaway.

Aberdeen House with its stone carved nameplate and brick tiled legend ‘Butcher and Poulterer’ remains on the corner of the mini roundabout at the junction of Windsor Road with Liphook Road. There are several more examples of Victorian villas dotted around the area – a small terrace of them can be seen just before the junction of Liphook road with Mill Lane; and 31 Liphook Road (Earley House) now a care home, is a large double fronted Victorian house with a carefully maintained exterior.

In the 1960s the Church building was renovated and extended slightly, and a wooden hut purchased from the Army was placed on the land behind to serve as a Church Hall. In the 1990s a further extension was added to provide an entrance vestibule, with toilets and a kitchen. Following successful fundraising, the wooden hut was replaced by a new Community Centre which blended well with the original Church building. In March 2020 the church celebrated 150 years of worship, and now hosts traditional and contemporary Christian services, play groups and other activities.

Methodist Church.

Yew Tree Cottage, located at the top of Canes Lane, is believed to date from around 1700, and has been extensively renovated since then. Old Farm Cottage and Woodbine Cottage, both found on the current Taylors Lane, can be seen as examples of dwellings that have been modernised internally whilst still retaining their original external characteristics.

At the end of the Chase Road spur are several older properties, two of which might have housed cottage industries; namely Blacksmith’s Cottage and Cordwainers.

One of the houses shown in the Five Acres area on the 1896 map, known then as Model Farm, is now no.16 Lindford Chase, and is called Chase House. At the western end of Chapel Gardens are two characterful properties – Chapel Cottage and Moss Cottage. It is believed that Lower House Farm, also on that map, is the current Watermeadow Farm on the Liphook Road.

The Village Hall was built in 2007 at the time of the Chase Road development, and formed part of the financial arrangement brokered with the developers, intended to benefit the whole community. The necessity of a having a Village Hall in Lindford had been raised in 1982 when planning permission for the Martin Grant estate was under discussion. Although a site had been reserved for “the community hall and car park” (minuted in a meeting of the EHDC Development Committee in December of that year), it had not been followed through then. Until the opening of the Village Hall any community activity had to be held in rooms at either the Lindford Club or the Church Hall.

David Perry was one of the founder members of Lindford Parish Council, serving as a councillor for about 30 years. He was chairman for 8 years, and also served as finance chairman and vice chairman twice. During his time in office he always played a full part in council activities, including practical interventions such as mending notice boards and planting trees. He was particularly involved in establishing the Village Hall, and because of this the main hall was named The Perry Room.

Lindford Village Hall, 35 Sycamore Road, Lindford, Hampshire, GU35 0RD

Another benefit for the community at the time of the Chase Road development was an area of land that was set aside for the provision of allotments. These are currently all in use, and are home to a well maintained selection of fruit and vegetables.

Green Spaces

During WW2 any available land in the village was taken over by the War Department. One of these areas was the Triangle, which is now one of Lindford’s Green Spaces; the other two being Mimosa Green and Pear Tree Green. These 3 spaces are now owned and managed by the Parish Council, and all have grassed areas with some trees and seating in the form of benches.

A contemporary World Wars memorial bench nearby, and a dedicated children’s play area with 2 sets of swings, a slide and a roundabout, at the opposite end of the green.

There is a maple tree on the Triangle which was planted to commemorate the Canadian soldiers from Fort Garry Horse Regiment who had been billeted in Lin
dford and the surrounding area during WW2.

Mimosa Green also has a World Wars memorial bench, with a set of swings and more benches located at the opposite end of the area; and Pear Tree Green has a set of 2 swings. Toddler cradle swings are incorporated in all of the Lindford sets.

The Triangle Open Space. Other Open Spaces on Mimosa Green and Pear Tree.

Businesses in Lindford

There are two groups of Light Industrial Units in Lindford. One is found off the Chase Road Spur, with the units mainly housing motor mechanical businesses, together with a moss removal firm; the other is off the Liphook Road and is home to a stationery wholesaler, an upholsterer and an auto repair business. There is also a tool hire and maintenance shop on the Liphook Road.

Sewage treatment works

A necessary addition to 21st century life is a sewage treatment works, and Lindford is home to one of 27 Small/Medium works in the South West London area that serves a population of approximately one million. Owing to the recent large increase in housing in neighbouring Whitehill and Bordon, and the resultant increase in effluent flow that accompanies such population growth, Thames Water are currently scoping medium term investment plans for significant improvements across the site.

Lindford Parish Council

For most of its history Lindford was part of Headley parish (and still is part of All Saints parish), but was incorporated into the new Whitehill civil parish when it formed on 1st April 1929.

The Lindford Residents and Ratepayers Association was already in existence in 1979 when their meeting on 27th November that year minuted an item concerning an application for Parish status. Following a census in the village, conducted independently by EHDC, it was noted that from a 66% return 89% of residents were in favour of Parish status for Lindford.

EHDC agreed that the application be submitted to the Boundary Commission for approval. Following this, Lindford Parish was granted formal status on 1st April 1982. The Council was permitted to consist of 7 councillors, 6 of whom had been members of the Residents’ Committee. A seventh councillor was elected by ballot, and the first Parish Council meeting was held on 19th April at 7pm in the Working Men’s Club, attended by approximately 80 residents.

By 2007 meetings were held in the Methodist Church Hall at 8pm on the first Monday of the month. Following the construction of the Village Hall, meetings are currently held there on the first Tuesday of the month – August excepted.